A chainsaw can be quite dangerous equipment and a lot of risk factors are usually associated with it. While cutting down trees a lot of accidents can happen with this instrument and it can cut down a leg or an arm very easily. Especially for beginners the first time application is a lot harder and can be a nerve wrecking experience. People think that they can easily cut some trees from their backyard and sell them and earn some money. But it is not easy to operate the chainsaw because any cutting equipment needs some proper technique, and tree-cutters need some basic safety measurements. When you operate the chainsaw, you need to wear personal protection equipments such as eye protection, ear protection, long boot, long sleeve shirt and gloves. It is true that people do not wear this protection equipment when they intend to cut some limbs of the trees. But the head protection is necessary and it is suggested to wear some hard head cap while you operate the chainsaw.
Few useful tips related to saw usage:
- Use protective gears always: The first and foremost precautionary measure to take is to use protective gears and safety equipments. For those who use the chainsaw on a frequent basis are always subjected to accidental mishaps. Frequent users may lose focus while working and most accidents take place during that time.
- Not being prepared for such incidents may lead to serious injuries. A few useful protective gears that are must while using the saw are helmets or protective head gears, ear defenders, thick gloves, face masks, and protective full clothing. Not only these will help prevent accidents they will protect against flying debris and the awful noise that a chainsaw makes.
- Get to know your equipment: This safety tip is especially useful for the newbie. Feel free to go by the book. Open your chainsaw and just keep it aside for sometimes and take time to read the instruction manual fully and completely. Ensure that you get familiar with each and every part of your saw and make sure the descriptions given in the book is well understood by you.
How do you prepare yourself to operate the chainsaw?
You must ensure that your work area is clean and clear. You must keep a few meters of clear area around your work space. Be extra careful when using an electric chainsaw. They come with electric cords and power plugs and hence need more attention. Your power cords must not be snagged with objects sitting in between the machine and the work place. Before you start actually using the saw make sure you have enough space for free movement.
- During firewood preparation good quality sawhorse is required for the purpose of keeping the logs in a steady position. If you are looking forward to cutting down a tree then consider every aspect of it, and consider the space that will be required. It is always feasible to keep the area clean to avoid hazards.
- So before you start running the machine you must be fully prepared, put on all your safety gears, be covered head to toe, know your chainsaw inside out, and keep the work space spotlessly clean. Now you are all ready and set to begin cutting down some logs down with your saw.
But before you start putting it to use make sure your family is aware of your whereabouts, your action plan and exactly how long your work is going to take. It is good having someone keeping an eye on you for future assistance.
Chainsaws are indispensable for those who have yards. These saws are used to cut trees and branches around the yard. There are different types of chainsaws available in the market today. Your choice must depend on your specific needs.
What is a chainsaw?
A chainsaw can be defined as a handy power tool used to trim unruly branches, cut down trees and trim thick bushes. If you’re old chainsaw is in a bad condition and needs replacing or if you are planning on buying your first chainsaw, then you must first determine which one will work best for you. Based on your preference and budget, you can choose from a range of electric, gas or cordless chainsaws.
Comparing gas and electric chainsaws
If you want more power in your chainsaw, you must choose the gas chainsaws.
- As gas chainsaw is driven by a two cycle engine, it is much more powerful than the electric chainsaw.
- If you use the saw only for cutting lighter and less bulky materials, you can choose the less powerful electric chainsaw.
- These saws are used for cutting saplings and trimming small branches or bushes in the garden.
- Another difference between the two types of chainsaws is the length of the bar.
- Electric chainsaws have shorter bars measuring between eight and fifteen inches while the gas chainsaws come with a forty-two inch bar.
What are the comparative advantages of the gas chainsaws and electric ones?
- The advantages of choosing an electric chainsaw over the gas one is that you will never have to worry about running out of the two cycle engine oil and gasoline.
- With gasoline chainsaws, you need to cool the saw after shutting it down before filling the fuel tank again. With electric chainsaws, all you have to do is to switch it off and store it. And when it comes to starting a chainsaw, flipping a switch is always much easier than yanking on a cord over and over again.
- When it comes to maintenance, electric chainsaw is much easier to maintain.
Cordless chainsaws can be used for many jobs though they cannot be used for cutting large logs and trees. Power ratings stated in the cordless chainsaws is in Volts as they are battery powered. This type of chainsaw comes with a long guide bar measuring up to inches or as short as 4.5 inches.
Avoiding noise while cutting wood is important:
- As compared to the gas or electric chainsaws, the cordless chainsaw is extremely quiet while in use. They can be therefore be used indoors as well as outdoors.
- As long as the battery is kept charged, they are versatile enough to be used at anytime, anywhere. Using the cordless chainsaws is much easier as they are less powerful and lighter.
- As cordless chainsaws come with batteries that last for a shorter period of time, you should probably go for the electric or gas saws if you plan to use the saws for a long time.
- As the power is low, cordless saws come with smaller cutting bars.
This type of chainsaw is ideal for those who wish to cut small or medium sized timbers or logs or for trimming small limbs. It is also ideal for those who do not want the inconvenience of complications and maintenance associated with gas saws and wants to use it outside the range of power source. If your home is closely bounded by neighbours, you should probably go in for the cordless chainsaws as they are relatively quiet to use.
Still want to know more about Chainsaws? Rotary Mower Services Pty Ltd brings to you its complete range of chainsaws. Manufactured by top of the line brands such as Honda, Click here for more information about chainsaw for sale.